Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The rise and fall of kings

I am reading a book series at the moment and really enjoying it. I have had problems in the past with non-fiction, finding it mostly dry. Car chases don't happen that often in real life and thus don't make it into non-fiction that often either. However, I was feeling that I was missing something and so I looked for a way to get into the genre. I found it in 'Historical Fiction'.

The series I am reading is written by Conn Iggulden, and is called the 'Emperor' series and is a piece of historical fiction concerning the life of Gaius Julius Caesar. Starting with his life in his early teens, the series gets personal and shows some of the make-up of the to-be-emperor. Better than that its describes and elaborates on times of the Roman Empire and the politics involved there. It gives a glimpse of how life was at that time, and what the ideal of Republic truly meant. I am currently on book two, Death of Kings, and find this a great read. The author even discusses, at the back of the book, which pieces are historical fact and likewise, which parts are embellishment. I recommend this series to anyone who likes history, with a flair.

The only thing I have yet to figure out is whether Julius Caesar was a good guy or a bad guy. As so often true with history, maybe there is no dividing line here. After all the Romans were the masters of re-writing history in there favor.

Cheers!

No comments: