Thursday, November 16, 2006

Rainy days and Thursdays

I made it to work on time today, for the first time in over a week, two weeks maybe. I unload my laptop on my desk and take my jacket off when the head IT guy comes over and asks: "What's that big yellow-orange circle in the sky?" As I turned I noticed it as well, big, impressive and warm. I was in awe, it had been a long time since I had seen that big ball in the sky, and in a field of blue as well.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, at the halfway point of November we have already broke records. The headline reads that this is 'The wettest November on record ... already", and I think I read elsewhere that this has been the second or third wettest month ever. Again, we are only half way through. But today looks better.

Here's a question for my reader out there: When skies are gray and rain falls everywhere, it can be really depressing (Seattle has one of the highest suicide rates in the country this time of year), but when the sky turns clear and blue and the sun shines everywhere, it's a happy time. Why then is someone who is depressed said to be 'blue'? Out here the blue sky marks the end of the rainy season, those days from June to December, and the beginning of all manners of enjoyment.

What tomorrow brings, who knows, I certainly don't. I will open the blinds and enjoy this strange warmth that comes from the sky above, I will embrace change. For now.

Hope you day goes well.

No comments: