Thursday, January 04, 2007

The demise of twenty-four

Is 24 doomed? Maybe I see something different than everyone else in the show I enjoy so much. In the wake of 911 and the days that followed, I enjoyed seeing the representation of someone acting on patriotism, ready to do what was necessary to keep me and my family safe. Now in reality, I hope the things that go on in the show are substantially fictitious, I would have trouble sleeping if they weren't, as would anyone living in Southern California. It seemed to me the show drew on my desire to believe at least in the basic tenets of the show. Are those days of needing reassurance over with the convening of the 110th congress, perhaps we should renew the Monroe doctrine.

I believe in our right to privacy, but I also believe there are times when such rights should be subject to the safety of others. Personal experience of mine, outside of television viewing experience, has lead me to believe that there are in fact circumstances where time is an issue and the red tape we as Americans both love and hate only gets in the way. Those lengths of tape are there to protect us in 'normal' circumstances, it is however the exceptions that concern me.

If my children or a family member were in danger or anyone for that fact, I want the government to have the right to do whatever is unnecessary to prevent or minimize that danger, not have to sit and watch as people die, buildings collapse or cars explode waiting for a judge to finish his breakfast before he/she deigns to answer his phone.

I am talking in extremes, but it's the extreme I am worried about. Or should we just assume that in a Jack Bauer moment, the law we are being so paranoid about will simply be cast aside anyway in favor of the greater good?

Anyway, let's get about the business at hand, Senator. How much travel money do you REALLY think you need?

Have a safe day!

1 comment:

Hello from Julia said...

I saw your post mentioning three good things. I was looking around to see if anyone else was talking about it. Come check out my blog http://3for365.blogspot.com. Some of my friends and I have started doing this (many privately) and it's been a really fun exercise. Cheers, -Julia