Friday, December 29, 2006

Standing in the light

Patrick's Place contains a good thread today. Why can people be obsessed with finding someone else's faults. Maybe I have become more reflective in my years. I am glad that I am just an average guy, not in the public eye. Looking back in my life I see so many mistakes that they tend to scare me some. If anyone were to start documenting my failures and mistakes, they might be hard pressed to find a stopping point.

Since I am not a public figure, one may simply state, so what? Your mistakes don't matter, you are not making the decisions for a country or a state or a city. They matter to someone. I have a family which I am responsible for, so my decisions matter.

I posted yesterday that I would try and find the good in my life. I think I should extend that to others as well. There have been people in the past that have failed me, politicians, co-workers, family. I do not want to remember someone for what they did wrong, to me or to others. I would rather remember them in a positive light.

As we proceed with our lives, be reflective. History can be a harsh teacher but it can also give us a glimmer of hope, if we only recognize what was done well, what successes we've accomplished. We are the sum total of our successes and failures, I hope that I have a positive balance. I am certainly going to live like I do.

My 3 good things from yesterday:
  1. I learned and put into use a new technology.
  2. My wife and I worked on our next set of family goals.
  3. My eldest son chose to take care of his little brother and did it well.
What 3 good things happened to you yesterday or today.

God Bless.

2 comments:

Jessica Nettles said...

Let's see:

1. The kids and I played Risk together last night without getting totally ticked at one another.

2. I sat with God for over an hour yesterday and discussed some issues I've cause for myself.

3. I started a new conversation with a friend I haven't seen in months.

I have a hard time seeing the good in myself and others as well.Often I see my mistakes in widescreen, especially since a few of them have long-term effects. I also have a harder time with forgiveness and understanding, especially with certain people that have hurt me deeply. I work on all of this all the time now. It's harder sometimes than others, but God helps me with this a lot. Something that I learned this year is that sometimes forgiveness can lead to allowing a light into your life that was missing.

I think it's a human quality to want to dwell in darkness. We've been convinced that we belong there. Thankfully, God works to make sure we know differently.

Patrick said...

Thanks for the mention, Derse.

I agree that we too often focus on the negative. Often, it's done just for negativity's sake rather than for any useful purpose.

Like Jess, I have a hard time seeing the good in me, and I am by far my own worst critic. When pressed to offer three positives I have committed, I sometimes go blank. Not because I'm not necessarily doing nice things for others, but because that a good many of the things I do just don't stand out to me.

But here are three from yesterday:

1. Quietly took on a little extra work to help out a co-worker who had been in a car wreck. (She was okay, but I just wanted to make things a bit easier for her on a Friday.)

2. Attended a get-together for a friend who is moving on to "greener pastures." I went to be supportive...attending any kind of social function is far out of my comfort zone.

3. Stopped to let a driver make a turn across my lane when several other drivers refused to give him a break.

Like I said, I had to do some searching to come up with them, but I guess the point is that I should either make sure I'm doing more or at least learn to recognize the good a little more easily.

Thanks for the reminder.